Friday, August 05, 2005

"The Loney Watch"... who will be next?


The stories you are about to read are true. Neither has been fabricated or embellished in anyway. No names have been changed to protect the innocent. These are the tales of two cousins and their chance meetings with a once famed, now obscure Pittsburgh Penguin.

The first encounter happened over one year ago, on the small island of St. Lucia in the south Caribbean. My wife and I had just begun our honeymoon at the beautiful and secluded Jalousie Resort. The island and resort were awesome although surprisingly there were not many Americans there, mostly Europeans. Around 8pm our first night on the island, we stroll over to one of the resort restaurants for dinner. We are seated on a quiet deck away from the main dining area and noise of the band that was playing that evening. My wife and I are enjoying a drink and our view of the ocean when the couple at the table next to us caught my attention.

There was nothing unusually special about them other than they seem to be lacking the British accent I had now grown accustomed to hearing on the island. However, there was something oddly familiar about the gentlemen. He had reddish-blonde hair, an athletic build, and a very familiar face. I immediately began scanning my mental rollidex of faces/names and after 2 or 3 minutes of pondering it hit me. This was former Pittsburgh Penguin and Stanley Cup winner, Troy Loney! I was struck by the randomness of the siting but at the same time excited that I remembered who he was and that, in my mind anyway, we were dining with someone famous.

I leaned into my wife and asked, "Do you know who that is next to us?"

"No. Who?" she replied.

"That's Troy Loney!" I exclaimed, as if my wife would have even a clue who Troy Loney is, let alone be impressed by his presence.

"I don't know who Troy Loney is." my Michigan born-bride said plainly.

I immediately began to explain who he was, his significance to the Stanley Cup winning Penguins, and even told her about his string of consecutive games with a goal and what was known as the "Loney Watch". My wife was not nearly as impressed as I was and I knew that I would have to wait until I returned to the States and tell all my Pittsburgh Penguin brethren in order to get the appropriate reaction.

The spotting of Troy Loney in St. Lucia seemed, at the time, like a completely random event that would go down as a chance meeting. I know now that there is something more cosmic involved with my meeting and that the "Loney Watch" has more significant meaning than it did in the mid-90s. You will understand better after hearing this second story as told through the words of my cousin (and longtime Penguins fan) Harry Vargo...


I was at a meeting this past week in Pittsburgh. It was a finalist meeting for a company that was looking for pharmacy benefits. There were three groups presenting I was in the middle group. We got to the meeting about 15 minutes early. I was pretty excited to be in the Burgh it always feels special each time I go through the Squirrel Hill tunnel and eventually make my way towards downtown. When I finally see the stadium it is like being a little kid again. I just get excited. I almost get in an accident everytime I cross one of the bridges because I am always looking back at the stadium just trying to take it all in. I was getting excited and it is only August. But I digress. So I am in the reception area of this manufacturing building when all of the sudden the doors open and the group that was presenting first is starting to leave. I was eyeing them up trying to gauge the competition. I start looking at each of the people coming out when a tall guy, about 6'1 with shoulder length blondish/reddish hair walks out. I know this guy but I can't put a name to him. He walks over to me and says, "We are in trouble they are way taller than we are." I just smile and say hi but I can't quite place him. The group leaves and I am still thinking who is this guy. As we walk into the meeting the sales leader turns to me and says,"Do you know who that is?" I say no but I know I know him. He says that the person that I am competing for business against is none other than Troy Loney. The Loney Watch is back. Apparently he is selling pharmacy benefits now, definitely a step up in his career path. He looked a lot smaller than I thought he would be. None the less it was Troy Loney. My mind starts racing. I am competing against Troy Loney and it is time to put the game face on. I give one of the best presentations I have ever given. I was like a spark plug. I was untouchable, I had this group spinning with my knowledge. As I concluded my presentation I asked if there were any questions. After a few more dazzling answers I thank the group for having me and I say, "I want to say one last thing, I guarantee Troy Loney did not give a clinical presentation like I just gave you." The room went crazy they were laughing like crazy. I think I heard Dr. Who in the background. Not sure if we will get the business, but if we don't I know it is not because Troy Loney outperformed me.

So there it is folks. Two seemingly unrelated, unconnected chance encounters by two blood relatives (and Penguins fans) with a semi-famous ex-Pittsburgh Penguin. It is clear that there is a higher power at work here. The only thing left to say is...

"The 'Loney Watch' is on. Who will be next?"

2 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

It's like "Where in the World is Carmen San Diego" or "Where's Waldo".

No Loney sightings yet, but I did see Subway's Jared Fogle at the Dallas airport a few years back.

10:49 AM  
Blogger The Commish said...

Eating Quizno's no doubt.

3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home